Our main activity is the inspection and certification of organic agricultural farms, processing plants and traders. We offer our services in the ‘Agriculture’ and ‘Processing and Trade’ divisions.
Please select the relevant division. You will then see an overview of the services available.
Austria Bio Garantie is an accredited inspection and certification body in accordance with ISO 17065. All activities are subject to supervision by the Austrian Accreditation Body and the National Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
Enrollment of new companies
New clients can register with us on our website for the desired services.
We conduct the onsite inspection using an integrated and structured checklist. We send the documents which have to be completed to our clients prior to the inspection. During the inspection our inspector issue an inspection report, in which their observations and the measures that have to be taken by the client following the inspection, are recorded, along with the deadlines of these. In the end of the inspection our inspector shares the content of the inspection report, then both parties sign it. Following this the inspection report and all relevant documents are forwarded to the certifier. Therefore the inspection and certification processes are never conducted by the same person.
The certification body checks all the information collected by the inspector during the inspection process. If the farm/processing unit and the products comply with the regulations, the certificate is issued and the certification process is concluded.
Organic agriculture is the farming and food production system, which either prohibits or restricts the application of soil enhancing products, fertilizers, certain plant protection products, and veterinary medicine products. Organic agriculture gives priority to sustainability, biodiversity and protection of the environment. Inspected farms applies the rules prescribed in the EU organic regulation and national laws within a strict control framework. In order for someone to deal officially with organic agriculture, it is necessary to sign the contract with the control and certification body for organic farming and production. From the day of signing the contract it is mandatory to comply with the EU organic regulation, which is defined by the EU and integrated in the national laws. The operator is obliged to comply with requirements, and to verify this with documents throughout the year, which is reviewed by the organic control and certification body. An organization operating outside of the certification system is not permitted to sell their products with marking referring to organic agriculture, not even in case the activity of their farm is similar or possibly identical with regulated organic agriculture. One of the most important requirements is that in organic production use of the genetically modified animals, plant materials and substances is not permitted. Apart from a few exemptions the application of chemically produced synthetic plant protection products, easily soluble phosphorus fertilizers and synthetic nitrogen fertilizers is prohibited.
Below you can read a few statements confirmed by research, which speaks for organic agriculture:
- Organic production is a way of production that supports sustainability, biodiversity and has small impact on the nature in general
- This type of agricultural production is based on the crop rotation, growing local and more resistant varieties
- The aim of organic production is that farm is self-sustaining and the usage of inputs is limited exclusively to the products from natural origin
- Organic production supports also breeding of animals, where animals are kept in free range with enough outside exercise area and daily light. Medical treatment of animals is allowed only when necessary and not as preventive measure. The goal of organic animal husbandry is to grow animals in conditions that are suitable for their needs giving them as much as possible "comfortable" life
- Organically produced products are products that have two way impact. Production on the field is supporting and following laws of nature with small or none impact on the nature and, due to the limited usage of plant protection materials, fertilizers and animal medicine, organic products are residue free products which do not affect human health in the way like conventional products.